Spam Bots

Discuss anything about the WWF/WWE past or present.
Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Spam Bots

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:48 pm

Hey, I was wondering if there was a way for the moderators to delete spam bot topics? This is fairly annoying seeing new ones on here every single day.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Re: Spam Bots

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:14 am

I know I've been reporting all the bot threads. Really, all they can do is delete them when they pop up. Not much you can do to stop them, that isn't hell for new people signing up.

What would be great, would be if people could stop replying to them. That doesn't exactly encourage mods to delete them, and it keeps them at the top of the boards.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

towney007
Site Admin

Post by towney007 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:07 am

Hey guys,

Sorry about the spam bots. Basically with the filters we have, it's like playing whack a mole. I usually take an hour or so every week to get rid of as many as I can, but they inevitably pop back up. We've been looking into new filters for the forums over the past few months but to be honest - it keeps getting put on the back burner just because we've had other issues come up (server memory, etc). We are on it best we can be for now, but hopefully in the future - once we get our butts in gear - we'll have it taken care of. Just keep reporting them. It makes it easier for us to mow through the threads and get rid of them best we can. Thanks for the patience and sorry for the inconvenience.

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:14 am

I say find the culprits and punish them pulp fiction style. FETCH THE GIMP

EaglePride
Developmental Talent

Post by EaglePride » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:23 pm

WV should add temporary mods to specifically take care of this problem in the mean time, because it's starting to get really out of hand with these ad bots.
Dynasty wrote:My girlfriend is Jewish
towney007 wrote:No one who spends hours researching old threads to put together in a quasi history of your posting on a wrestling forum has a girlfriend.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:12 pm

It would make a lot of sense or there to be a stand-alone Moderator, which doesn't have other Wrestleview duties. It's asking way too much of Hunter & TVS to take care over here, while also performing all their other jobs. That's just too much work for something that isn't even a real job.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:07 pm

I think that's a great idea, and I nominate isrs4life. He might not have the best grasp of the English language, but he's on here quite a bit, and he's been very on-top of reporting these spam bots in the Site Suggestions forum. He's got my vote to clean up these forums.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:29 pm

gutterhippo wrote:I think that's a great idea, and I nominate isrs4life. He might not have the best grasp of the English language, but he's on here quite a bit, and he's been very on-top of reporting these spam bots in the Site Suggestions forum. He's got my vote to clean up these forums.
I would say thats the best idea I've ever heard ever. I second that.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:15 pm

Legend_Killer wrote:
gutterhippo wrote:I think that's a great idea, and I nominate isrs4life. He might not have the best grasp of the English language, but he's on here quite a bit, and he's been very on-top of reporting these spam bots in the Site Suggestions forum. He's got my vote to clean up these forums.
I would say thats the best idea I've ever heard ever. I second that.
Yeah, let me!!! I gotta lot of free time to do so, I just reported a lot of spam in the Movie forum.

EaglePride
Developmental Talent

Post by EaglePride » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:33 pm

Def I agree. Hunter, TVS, Adam, Paul etc.. you guys should let isrs4life become some type of mod to help control these ad bots at least until WV gets a better filter in place.
Dynasty wrote:My girlfriend is Jewish
towney007 wrote:No one who spends hours researching old threads to put together in a quasi history of your posting on a wrestling forum has a girlfriend.