Spam Bots

Discuss anything about the WWF/WWE past or present.
Post Reply
User avatar
Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member
Posts: 7810
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Spam Bots

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:48 pm

Hey, I was wondering if there was a way for the moderators to delete spam bot topics? This is fairly annoying seeing new ones on here every single day.
Image

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

User avatar
Greg_McNeish
Posts: 43058
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:39 pm
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Re: Spam Bots

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:14 am

I know I've been reporting all the bot threads. Really, all they can do is delete them when they pop up. Not much you can do to stop them, that isn't hell for new people signing up.

What would be great, would be if people could stop replying to them. That doesn't exactly encourage mods to delete them, and it keeps them at the top of the boards.
Image

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

User avatar
towney007
Site Admin
Posts: 6599
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:16 am
Location: Springfield, MA
Contact:

Re: Spam Bots

Post by towney007 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:07 am

Hey guys,

Sorry about the spam bots. Basically with the filters we have, it's like playing whack a mole. I usually take an hour or so every week to get rid of as many as I can, but they inevitably pop back up. We've been looking into new filters for the forums over the past few months but to be honest - it keeps getting put on the back burner just because we've had other issues come up (server memory, etc). We are on it best we can be for now, but hopefully in the future - once we get our butts in gear - we'll have it taken care of. Just keep reporting them. It makes it easier for us to mow through the threads and get rid of them best we can. Thanks for the patience and sorry for the inconvenience.
Image

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 4181
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:07 am
Location: Skegness

Re: Spam Bots

Post by stigsyv1 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:14 am

I say find the culprits and punish them pulp fiction style. FETCH THE GIMP
Image

User avatar
EaglePride
Developmental Talent
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:23 am
Location: U.S.A.

Re: Spam Bots

Post by EaglePride » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:23 pm

WV should add temporary mods to specifically take care of this problem in the mean time, because it's starting to get really out of hand with these ad bots.
Image
Dynasty wrote:My girlfriend is Jewish
towney007 wrote:No one who spends hours researching old threads to put together in a quasi history of your posting on a wrestling forum has a girlfriend.

User avatar
Greg_McNeish
Posts: 43058
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:39 pm
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Re: Spam Bots

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:12 pm

It would make a lot of sense or there to be a stand-alone Moderator, which doesn't have other Wrestleview duties. It's asking way too much of Hunter & TVS to take care over here, while also performing all their other jobs. That's just too much work for something that isn't even a real job.
Image

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

User avatar
gutterhippo
VIP Member
Posts: 2577
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Contact:

Re: Spam Bots

Post by gutterhippo » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:07 pm

I think that's a great idea, and I nominate isrs4life. He might not have the best grasp of the English language, but he's on here quite a bit, and he's been very on-top of reporting these spam bots in the Site Suggestions forum. He's got my vote to clean up these forums.
Image

User avatar
Legend_Killer
Mid Carder
Posts: 1795
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:34 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Spam Bots

Post by Legend_Killer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:29 pm

gutterhippo wrote:I think that's a great idea, and I nominate isrs4life. He might not have the best grasp of the English language, but he's on here quite a bit, and he's been very on-top of reporting these spam bots in the Site Suggestions forum. He's got my vote to clean up these forums.
I would say thats the best idea I've ever heard ever. I second that.
Image

User avatar
isrs4life
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 17909
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:41 pm
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Spam Bots

Post by isrs4life » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:15 pm

Legend_Killer wrote:
gutterhippo wrote:I think that's a great idea, and I nominate isrs4life. He might not have the best grasp of the English language, but he's on here quite a bit, and he's been very on-top of reporting these spam bots in the Site Suggestions forum. He's got my vote to clean up these forums.
I would say thats the best idea I've ever heard ever. I second that.
Yeah, let me!!! I gotta lot of free time to do so, I just reported a lot of spam in the Movie forum.
Image

User avatar
EaglePride
Developmental Talent
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:23 am
Location: U.S.A.

Re: Spam Bots

Post by EaglePride » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:33 pm

Def I agree. Hunter, TVS, Adam, Paul etc.. you guys should let isrs4life become some type of mod to help control these ad bots at least until WV gets a better filter in place.
Image
Dynasty wrote:My girlfriend is Jewish
towney007 wrote:No one who spends hours researching old threads to put together in a quasi history of your posting on a wrestling forum has a girlfriend.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest