It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:12 am
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 17   [ 339 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:03 pm 

It's that time of year again, folks. You know, the beginning. With that, it's time to fire up the new Match of the Year Project! *streamers*

As you may or may not have noticed, I'm not Towney007 / Hunter Golden. Jason Namako & I will be taking over the day-to-day operations of MOTY, here on the boards. I'll be counting the votes, while Jason will be continuing to provide match links for all the nominated matches, in the VIP Section of these forums (non-VIPs have to ask nicely for links). But let's not waste any more time; IT'S TIME TO PLAY THE GAME!!!

The rules are simple (even simpler than last year). If you see a match you think is something special, anywhere in the wrestling world, you come in here and NOMINATE it.

Example wrote:
NOMINATE: Jesus vs. Lionel Messi

Great offense by Messi; they gave him the ball, and man did he run with it. He had some brilliant strikes, especially some kicks that were absolutely money. Jesus sold it like a champ, too. It looked like he was being tortured in there. The babyface comeback is something that I'm sure we'll be talking about for a long time, as something truly memorable. Here's hoping we get a rematch. I'd love to see a second coming of this bad boy, even if I have to wait until the end of the world to see it.

Next up is where things change up a little bit, to eliminate some confusion. Once a match is nominated, everyone can vote YES or NO on it, depending on whether they think it's worthy of being on the final ballot, at the end of the year. Unlike previous years, matches don't have to be Seconded before they're open for voting. As soon as it's nominated, have at her.

The scoring is simple. Every Yes vote gives a match a +1. Every No vote gives it a -1. At the end of the year, we'll figure out what the cut-off line will be, and anything above that line will be on the Final Ballot, which is opened up to the entire Wrestleview readership. As well, the original nomination counts as a Yes vote, so every match will start at a +1.

As a reference point, the cut-offs in 2011 were +5 for WWE matches, and +3 for non-WWE matches. Depending on how many people are active in the project, those numbers could be different this year.

Quick notes:
  • We use the honour system ("honor" for you Americans), so please vote only ONCE on each match. Allah will smite you if you cheat.
  • Please, PLEASE, PLEASE include the DATE of the match you're voting on. If I don't know what match you're talking about (or am too lazy to go looking for it), then I'm not going to count your vote. Only I'm allowed to be lazy.
  • You ARE allowed to change your vote on a match, down the line. If you do, please make sure that you make it PERFECTLY CLEAR that you're changing an old vote.
  • The Grash Rule: Nominations & votes can have as much or as little of an explanation as you care to write. Write a novel, or just state your vote. It's all gravy.
  • Include the f'n DATE, when you place your votes.

That's all I can think of. If you don't got it, get it. If you don't get it, figure it out.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:47 pm 

Great to see this thing started off with a bang. I look forward to actively participating from day one, which will make it easier to keep my shit together between now and December.

I don't have an inherent problem with the Seconding rule being abolished, as it did cause unnecessary confusion. The only potentially harmful issue that will probably arise from this change is that the ballot list could get stupidly big. There are one or two users (and I'm not looking at anybody in particular :? ) who nominate the majority of matches that happen throughout the course of the year. The Seconding rule did a great job of weeding out the matches that have no business even being considered for the ballot, so that the actual list didn't become overcrowded. Now it seems that there are going to be over 100 +1s by the end of the year, most of which never needed to be there in the first place.

Will there be any system in place to deal with such matches, or are we just accepting that we are going to end up with massive ballot?

It's not even that big of a deal. It just has the potential to make the ballot a pain to trawl through for people who are trying to find matches that are worth watching and voting on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:09 pm 
VIP Member

It should be a non-issue Lyon. The only difference is instead of having a whole list of "waiting for seconds" matches, you'll have a whole list of +1's or if it's really bad people like me or Greg will just throw a no or two on them and you'll know they're not in the running

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:09 pm 
Hall Of Famer

You forgot Wrestleview Mcniesh at top.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:46 pm 
Title Contender

GooberBM wrote:
It should be a non-issue Lyon. The only difference is instead of having a whole list of "waiting for seconds" matches, you'll have a whole list of +1's or if it's really bad people like me or Greg will just throw a no or two on them and you'll know they're not in the running

We have deployed Ninja Assassins that whose sole purpose is to snipe out the HOLY CRAP LONG LIST OF MATCHES NO ONE WILL WATCH~! syndrome.

Master of Satsui no Hadou

ImageImage
YAO~!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:57 pm 
VIP Member

Sexy Girl Ninja Assassins I hope

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:00 pm 
Hall Of Famer

**Stickie this bad boy**
But fix the title.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:05 pm 
VIP Member

isrs4life wrote:
**Stickie this bad boy**
But fix the title.

:shock: You may be on to something there, isrs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:11 pm 
Hall Of Famer

He might be, but he doesn't vote in the Best of the Best tournament, ever, so y'know, no internetz for him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:15 pm 
Hall Of Famer

El Canuck wrote:
He might be, but he doesn't vote in the Best of the Best tournament, ever, so y'know, no internetz for him.

I'm sorry but i'm not into Members Games which I have never been since day one in the forum.
I like to just discuss WWE, Classic WWE, TNA, Off-Topics, Movies and Music and bug TVS.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:20 pm 
Title Contender

GooberBM wrote:

Master of Satsui no Hadou

ImageImage
YAO~!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:22 pm 
Hall Of Famer

^ *Pents fingers* Excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:25 pm 
VIP Member

OneManX wrote:
GooberBM wrote:

Sexy AJ~! Ninja Assassins

*swoons*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:05 pm 

This is going to be an awesome first page for everybody who clicks on the thread to look at over the next twelve months. Has the MOTYP ever had a better start than this?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:57 pm 

isrs4life wrote:
You forgot Wrestleview Mcniesh at top.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:15 pm 

Greg_McNeish wrote:
[*]The Grash Rule: Nominations & votes can have as much or as little of an explanation as you care to write. Write a novel, or just state your vote. It's all gravy.

I feel so special that there's a rule named after me.

---------

I've been working with Jason on the side to help better structure the MOTYP data. You get deep into the project, take a month off, you're scrambling to get back up to date. If you fall far back enough, it's impossible to get back to current.

First, Using an Excel sheet to keep track of your votes will help.
Here's a sheet I plan to use this year.
http://www.gmwalek.com/wvmoty/2012Votin ... rSheet.xls

Matches are broken down into multiple columns. This will make it possible to sort\search\mine the data to your heart's content. There's also a Column to track your own votes.

If you notice there's an ID# field on the sheet...
Well, this is going to support a small change... Which I'm hoping Jason will do. Each match shoulds get an ID#. It's should start at 001 and roll its way up through the year. When the List of nominated matches get up dated, It'll be easy to update your own list.

* Sort your personal list by ID.
* Sort the new updated list by ID.
* Use the ID# to find the new matches and copy them over to your list.
-- Easy!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:29 pm 

Link in my previous post was for an excel sheet saved in an older Excel format.

Here's a link to a version of the sheet in Office 2010.
http://www.gmwalek.com/wvmoty/2012Votin ... Sheet.xlsx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:55 am 
Hall Of Famer

No Votes to all matches from Raw 1/2/2012.
If Daniel Bryan and Cody Rhodes match had gotten longer time I may have voted yes for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:59 am 

Voting No on matches that haven't been nominated. This is definitely going to be the best MOTY of all the times.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:04 am 

I would like to nominate every match that happened on RAW, just to give isrs something to negate.

I adore you.

You make my life so much more fulfilling.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 17   [ 339 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Board index Wrestling Forums WWE Wrestling Forum